Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Granola Bars - homemade - delicious



I have been trying to come up with a "healthy" granola bar for at least 3 years. I've made lots of different varieties and used lots of different recipes, and was never happy with the results. I finally discovered a recipe that I thought I could tweak to make it both healthy and delicious!
Here is the recipe:

Larissa's Granola Bars

1 cup brown sugar (I mix up my own using evaporated cane juice and molasses)
1/2 cup butter
2 Tbsp. honey
1/2 cup. *natural peanut butter (or natural almond butter - it's great both ways) *natural does not contain sugar
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 egg
1 1/3 cup flour (I use either spelt, soft white, or kamut)
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cup rice crispies (I use brown crispy rice cereal - which contains no high fructose corn syrup)
1 1/2 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup finely chopped almonds
1 cup chocolate chips (I use 60% cacao, dark)
1 cup coconut (unsweetened)

Mix 1st 6 ingd. together. Mix dry ingd. together, minus chocolate, coconut. Add to wet mixture, fold in remaining ingredients, press them down firmly into the pan into an 11x15 greased pan and bake @ 350 for 20 minutes or so. You should cut them while they are warm.
You can use pumpkin seeds or sunflower seeds instead of almonds for variety. You could also add a cup of raisins or dried fruit if you like that sort of thing. You could use raisins for an oatmeal raisin type of granola bar. Add about a teaspoon or so of cinnamon if you do that! Every person in my family loves these bars, in fact, Rosalie starts squealing with delight when I pull them out!
And I happen to know that they really are great - because they got the seal of approval from Rich.

4 comments:

  1. I thoroughly enjoyed these granola bars when you made them to take with us to the park! They were delicious!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUMMY!!! They look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look wonderful! I'm featuring you at the Natural Living Link-Up tomorrow. Thanks for linking up with us!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks yummy. We have county fair coming up in September. I always buy bars.. This year I will try making these. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete